How to fight those nasty PMS symptoms
If once a month you find yourself curled up in a ball on the couch in your favorite pair of sweatpants with a carton of Ben & Jerry’s in your lap, PMS is probably to blame. 42 million of us struggle with debilitating PMS symptoms every month;1 we think it’s time to kick them to the curb! The good news is there are some great ways to fight those awful symptoms, so your time of the month doesn’t have to be the worst time of the month:
- Have a glass of wine – No, seriously. A study showed that moderate alcohol consumption, like a glass of wine, was linked to fewer headaches during women’s periods.2 Score!
- Got Milk? – A study from the Archives of Internal Medicine found that women who drank four servings of low-fat or skim milk a day had a 46 percent lower risk of PMS pain compared to those who only drank one serving a week. 2
- Break a sweat – The gym is probably the last place you want to go, but it’s worth it! Exercise can help relieve aches and pains associated with PMS. Really hate the gym? A certain type of yoga, Yoga nidra, may help relieve excessive pain and heavy flow. 3
- Eat your spinach – Spinach is loaded with magnesium and iron, which help reduce PMS stress and prevent migraines. 2
- Take a stab at acupuncture – One study found that acupuncture was successful at reducing PMS symptoms in 78 percent of women, with most feeling relief within 24 hours.4
If PMS is an unwanted monthly visitor, following these tips may help take the edge off some of your nastiest symptoms.
- Posted by holx-admin
- On January 19, 2015